● How do I know if I need therapy?
Ans- The best part about therapy is that it is for everyone. There is no eligibility criteria for someone wanting to see a therapist. If the question comes into your mind, it is usually a good time to see a therapist. To look at it more objectively, you can explore if any/ all of the below are being impacted for you:
– Your rest: You are not able to nap/ sleep/ rest peacefully and feel upset/ anxious/ restless when it is time to take a break
– Your relationships: Your relationships do not seem healthy/ happy and are constantly causing you (and others) distress/ anger/ sadness
– Your work: You do not feel as confident/ motivated/ energetic about your work/ studies or want to make a change in your field
Your way into therapy can be either of the two:
1. Curative/ treatment oriented: You are dealing with anxiety, depression, a personality disorder or stressor(s) which impact your daily life. If you find it hard to work, rest or build/ maintain healthy relationships with yourself and/or others, therapy is a good idea.
2. Preventive/ insight oriented: You want to know yourself. You feel curious about who you are, why you think/ feel/ do/ behave the way you do or you are looking to grow, build healthy relationships, excel in life and be a better version of yourself.
● Will you tell me what to do?
Ans- My aim is to help you help yourself, hence I follow an explorative and collaborative approach. I do not believe in offering direct advice, since you are the expert of your life. I am a fellow traveler in your life journey and my focus is your goals. I bring in questions and suggestions to help you take the next step. I also psychoeducate you about the human mind and behavior. I hold up a mirror to show you the patterns and connections I observe. With me, you shall receive healthy coping strategies and learn ways of being your authentic self.
● Is therapy the same for everyone?
Ans- No, depending on the person, their personality, their environment, their life choices, struggles, circumstances, needs, goals and other parameters- therapy and treatment/ growth plans are personalized and custom made for each person differently. Each therapy experience is unique.
● What is existential therapy?
Ans- Existential therapy is a psychotherapy modality that focuses on seeing a person holistically. It aims to work through life’s anxieties, accept responsibility for one’s choices, build healthy relationships with self and others, live authentically according to your personal values and find meaning, despite your struggles and circumstances.
● Have you studied other schools of psychotherapy as well?
Ans- Yes. I am trained in Existential Therapy, Psychodynamic Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy (REBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Narrative Therapy, Gestalt Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT), Person Centred Therapy (PCT), Reality Therapy among modalities.
● What types of counseling do you offer?
Ans- I work with individuals, couples, families and groups.
● Do I need to prepare for my first therapy appointment?
Ans- No. All you may want to do is find a safe space where you can talk and express yourself uninterrupted. If it helps you, you can wear comfortable clothing, keep drinking water with you or check your internet connection/ web camera/ microphone.
● How can I take care of myself in addition to therapy?
Ans- Following a consistent sleep- wake routine, staying hydrated, eating a homemade balanced diet, journaling, meditating, exercising your body, practicing boundary setting, reading books about topics you relate to and showing yourself compassion are some ways.
● Can you suggest some mental health resources?
Ans- Feel free to visit my resources page to access some mental health care workbooks. For regular mental health insights and tips, check out my Instagram and my blog.
● Is the pricing per session?
Ans- Yes, the pricing is per session.
● Where do you live?
Ans- Currently I live in Gurgaon, India and offer online therapy to Indian adults globally.
● How can I contact you for questions?
Ans- Please feel free to drop a message or email me for any queries: Hello@TherapyWithShaurya.com